Optimizing Nasal Drug Delivery
Choose the system that delivers medication to the entire nasal cavity, and keeps it there.
Demonstrated deposition throughout the entire nasal and paranasal cavities
- Optimized particle size, airflow and fluid volume.
- Results in positive outcomes
Spray Bottles / MDI’s
Deposition only in the front of the nasal cavity
- No supporting airflow. Limited deposition to the front of the nasal cavity.
Powered Irrigator / Atomizer
Intended to wash out the nose, fluid goes in one nostril and comes back out the same side and is captured in a container to be discarded.
- Inadequate airflow.
- Limited distribution to the antrum
- No more than 10% of residual drug left behind
Modified Pulmonary Nebulizer
Early nasal nebulizers are pulmonary nebulizers with nasal adapters. They generate small, lightweight particles (3-5 microns) that are carried to the lungs on the inhaled airstream. Non-sterile drugs and suspensions delivered to the lower airway may cause lung damage.
- At most, 3% of drug delivered to the antrum of the nose.
- 18-20% deposition of drugs in the pulmonary system